The American with Disabilities Act is a federal mandate for handicap parking space requirements at buildings open to the public. This federal legislation was passed in part due to inconsistencies in handicap parking requirements by local jurisdictions. The federal guidelines are as follows:
- Number of accessible parking spaces required for commercial properties, open to the public.
|# of Spaces on Lot||Minimum # of Accessible Spaces Required||Of those, the # Required to be Van Accessible|
|501-1000||2% of total||1 in every 8 accessible spaces|
|1001 & Over||20 Plus for each 100||1 in every 8 accessible spaces over 1000|
– Accessible space – 8′ with 5′ hash out on left side, two spaces can share a hash out.
– Van Accessible – 8′ space with 8′ hash out on right side.
– Accessible – Regular handicapped sign – Reserved parking and universal logo in center of each sign. Bottom of sign must be between 4′ and 7′ above pavement surface.
– Van Accessible – Same as above, except that the words “VAN ACCESSIBLE” shall be printed below the logo.
– Spaces, access aisles, loading zones shall have maximum slope at 2% (1:50) in all directions.